About the Australian Citizenship Test
Not many people applying for the Australian citizenship pay much attention to the
Australian citizenship test. However it must be mentioned here that qualifying the
Australian citizenship test is a must if you are serious about becoming an Australian
citizen. It has a significant contribution in making the applicant aware of the
various dimensions of the Australian culture such as language, history, festivals
etc. It also informs them about the rights and duties of the Australian citizen.
Key facts about the Australian citizenship test
1. The test is in English language
2. It has 20 questions with each question having 3 options to choose from as the
3. The applicant has to answer at least 15 questions correctly (75%) in order to
qualify the test
Since the entire citizenship test is in English, you must need to know the basic
What is the eligibility to take the Australian citizenship test?
To sit for the Australian citizenship test, the applicant must
1. Have applied for the legal citizenship of Australia
2. Has to be a permanent resident of Australia
3. Has proved his identity to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship during
the procedure of applying for the Australian citizenship test
4. Submit a photograph of yourself or allow the Department of Immigration and Citizenship
to take one
Are there any exemptions from sitting the Australian citizenship test?
Below mentioned persons are not needed to sit the Australian citizenship test
1. Those who applied for the Australian citizenship prior to October 1, 2007
2. Those who are of the age less than 18 or of the age over 60.
3. Those who are either physically or mentally handicapped. This should be proved
by proper medical certificates.
4. Those whose parents were an Australian citizen.
5. Those who are stateless however were born on the Australian land.
6. Those who were born in Papua prior to September 16, 1975 to someone who was an
Australian citizen and was born in Australia
Once the Department of Immigration and citizenship has received the citizenship
application it will process the application and shall issue the appointment which
is nothing but a date and time on which your Australian citizenship test is scheduled.
In case you are not able to attend the test on the given time, you can get in touch
with the department to reschedule your test.
At what place can I sit the Australian citizenship test?
You can sit the Australian citizenship test in specific locations in Australia and
at numerous of foreign locations. Usually tests are conducted at departmental offices
in all the major cities of Australia. All tests are properly conducted and administered
by the officers of Department of Immigration and Border protection.
However In case you have applied for the Australian citizenship from a place outside
Australia, the local Australian embassy will get in touch with you regarding the
conduct of your test. It must be kept in mind that in such cases the result will
not be declared immediately and shall be sent to Australia for the correct marking.